Sunday, January 9, 2011

It was Christmas awhile ago!

I think we've all learned by now that I am entirely incapable of keeping up a regular correspondence...

I didn't have much else to add to that statement. Just putting it out there.

Although Christmas happened awhile ago, there is still much Yuletide joy to be shared. In fact, only a few days ago did the last Yule Lad retire to his cozy mountain bungalow, chock full of candles that he apparently eats. Who am I to judge? I used to eat hot chocolate mix straight from the packet with a spoon. We all have our vices.



In order to celebrate properly we, of course, had to find ourselves a Christmas tree. Iceland, having materialized via the fire and brimstone straight out of our dear old Mid-Atlantic Ridge, is not one to boast many forests. Despite this setback, Iceland certainly supplies for those in need of naturey goodness so Evan and I set out for the Christmas Market in search of a tree that would do us proud.



The Christmas Market was actually a square we had frequented during the summer program, though my very busy lifestyle (read as: sitting at home) prevented me from updating any Rekyjavík excursions.

Cue: FLASHBACK

It's an interesting little courtyard, and we had a bomb diggity Surprise Cake Palooza in honor of Caitlin's birthday.



The graffiti is impressive, abundant, and vibrant, and people moseyed in and out of the park whether to relax or drink a few beers in the midnight sunshine.











And then one time these guys showed up, set up a cardboard cut-out of what can only be the Icelandic Brawny man, and started playing music.



FLASHFORWARD

All in all the market was quaint and enjoyable, though they made the mistake of hiring live music to perform for an inattentive and underwhelmed audience....This lead to what I assume were very sarcastic and self-effacing comments from the musicians, though my complete inability to comprehend Icelandic when spoken at a natural, human speed prevents my understanding of what's going on 95% of the time.



Either way, we found a wonderful tree and we named him Abner (and by "we" I mean "me," and by "named him" I mean "decided right now that he should have a name").



Here's the floppy cat that lived near our apartment, Black Kitty! (Þórður and I later discovered that there was a Black Kitty 2.0, but this one was far more floppy).





Here's a caroling parade that we encountered on Christmas Eve (I think?)



Evan, the proficient baker that he is, was in charge of making the skyrkaka (recipe??).



Here is Felix being adorable/explaining the importance of bicycle safety.



We bought a few cheap ornaments for the tree, as well some tiny jingle bells and string to attempt makeshift garlands. Evan popped some popcorn to make a garland as well, and Felix assisted by eating it.



Eventually Felix got full and Evan crafted a beautiful popcorn garland (are they even called garlands? I'm new to this Christmas terminology...I keep wanting to call them "lanyards" for some reason).



And theeeeen....CHRISTMAS



Evan got Felix a great music box!





Maik got a spanky new guitar,



and Felix got an equally spanky new ukulele



Here's the view from our apartment on Christmas morning:



And the view to the mountains:



Some precocious child created an eerily perfect snowman across the street.



Evan and I went on a Christmas Day walk, and found some cool places. The wind was intense and lifted my legs off the ground, and the early darkness mixed with the empty streets made Reykjavík an intensely spooky place.



Gotham City or Reykjavík?



This is entirely unrelated to Christmas, but here's Felix dressed up as a Heffalump...



XTREME HEFFALUMP! Sk8brd4lyfe.



Finally, here's Felix being better at technology than I am. He frequently commandeers Caitlin's iPad and surfs Youtube like it's his job. His favorite video is about Thomas the Tank Engine and he really likes the song...though really dislikes slow internet connections.



For those who are concerned, do not fret. I assure you he was able to watch the video in full a countless number of times. Countless.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia in Iceland,
    I really liked reading your blog. I'm also fond of Iceland and am also called Julia, are you sure you haven't stolen my identity?

    Anyway I'll be visiting Iceland for the first time in August - hopefully its not as cold and it looks in your January photos!

    Julia - not in Iceland yet

    ReplyDelete