Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jónsi

One evening Þórður nonchalantly mentioned an upcoming concert, and calmly suggested that we attend. Four seconds later he mentioned that it was a Jónsi concert, and two seconds after that I had purchased my tickets. What Þórður did not realize (or did realize but coyly played down) was that my unfaltering adoration for Sigur Rós might be the largest reason that I ever even considered Iceland as a possible destination. So, with that in mind, I will say that the performance was awe-inspiring, endearingly weird (and I mean weird), and made me cry. Unfortunately, none of my attempted photographs really came out as well as I would have liked, but I wanted to enjoy the experience more than I wanted to stare through a viewfinder so I happily put my camera away and enjoyed the spectacle.

Throughout the whole performance Jónsi was wearing a bizarre suit of straps and frills, and when he finished his set I could only imagine what his encore ensemble would entail. The man did not disappoint and emerged in a colorful Native American headdress that swayed hypnotically with his jerky, peculiar version of "dancing." Since I couldn't get any respectable photos out of the ordeal, here is my one attempt at capturing his garb:



And now here are photos that other people took that I greedily stole through the internet:







And finally here are 3 videos I took during the concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment